House w/Sold Sign

Intro Copy

We frequently answer questions for our clients.
Our team is available at 785-456-2779 to answer your questions.

Q & A’s

What is title insurance?

Title Insurance is indemnity insurance that insures against financial loss from defects in title to real property and from the invalidity or un-enforceability of mortgage loans. It insures that you actually own your real estate or that a bank’s mortgage is properly filed and perfected against real estate.

Why do I need title insurance?

There is no requirement that you purchase an owners title insurance policy insuring that you are the owner of the real estate you purchased. However, if somebody claims a lien or another form of ownership against the real estate, your real estate could be subject to this lien or claim. Title insurance protects the owner in this event. Additionally, if you are obtaining a loan to purchase real estate, your bank will require you to pay for lenders’ title insurance. At this point, should you have an owners’ policy ordered, the loan policy is typically greatly discounted.

Do I need a realtor?

Most Americans’ largest investment is their home. A relatively small commission based upon the sales price paid to a Realtor can help protect your investment. A real estate agent can guide you through the sometimes overwhelming process of listing, negotiating, contract preparation, inspection, insurance and borrowing. For these reasons, we recommend that you contact a realtor prior to attempting to buy or sell your home. Additionally, if you do not routinely deal in real estate negotiations and transactions, we recommend contacting a real estate agent for any other real estate sale or purchase.

When do I pay for the escrow costs and title insurance fees that are my responsibility?

Typically, escrow costs are paid at the closing date. If you are the seller and Tallgrass Title closes the transaction, we remove our fees from your proceeds from the sale. If you are the Buyer, the costs will be included in the amount paid at closing.

How soon can we close?

Real estate transactions can have many steps depending on the nature of the transaction, and closing is the last one. If all parties have agreed upon the transaction, we will close shortly thereafter.

I am selling my real estate as for sale by owner, what do I need to do to start the process?

In order to handle title insurance and a closing, we require a contract signed by all parties and the earnest money, if any.

Call to Action


All general inquiries should be directed to our office at the following phone number and email address. If you need to log into your Paperless Closer account, click the button below.

  MHK    785-775-1120  Wamego   785-456-2779

Paperless Closer